A Quick Review: Our 1st Series at Unity Spiritual Center!
* Our first series of SpiritGroups was a huge success! We had 80 people involved, which is more than 50% of our average attendance on Sundays.
* SpiritGroups were offered at 10 locations and hosted by 14 people in our community.
* Every SpiritGroup participated in a service project of their choosing. Here are just a few of the service projects that occurred:
Service at, food donation to, and a tour taken at Anna Ogden Hall, a women’s recovery treatment facility in Spokane by the Women’s SpiritGroup.
A blood mobile – provided to Unity Spiritual Center on July 17 during both services
An artistic video representation of the spiritual gifts and disciplines of all the members of one group
A deep-cleaning of the kitchen pantry and kitchen counters
A road trip to Montana’s Ross Creek Cedar Grove and meditation for planetary healing.
* Our community celebration was held on Wednesday, June 29 in which 55 of the 80 people involved in the 1st series attended, including 2 not-yet-a-member/curious folks! Hosts and Pilot Group members were acknowledged. Also, those present had the opportunity to share their experiences of the impact of their SpiritGroup on their lives with the large group as well as meet with Dr. Gary for a testimonial. In small groups, people noted feedback on how to improve the program and then came together as a large group again to dance the “5 Spiritual Disciplines.” Then we celebrated with cake!
* Leadership attendance at broader Unity events
Rev. Jane, Dr. Gary Simmons and Tara Wear (SpiritGroup Program Leader) attended the 1st annual Small Groups Leadership Summit in Kansas City, MS on the Unity Village campus. Awards were received by our ministry for our excellent engagement of our community in our SpiritGroups (Glenda Engagement Award), our leadership as a ministry in SpiritGroup work (Campus of the Year award) and in the category of Challenge (Challenge Group Leader of the Year, Tara Wear). Rev. Jane & Dr. Gary Simmons attended the People’s Conference in Kansas City. While there, they both produced video curriculum for future SpiritGroups.
A Preview: Looking Into The Future
Preparing for our fall series, From the celebration:
9 New Hosts signed up (were members of a group and want to host in fall)
5 Returning hosts (hosted last series)
6 Host Mentors (previous hosts)
23 people said they would join a SG in the fall
Fall Series-Week of September 11: Kickoff Week!
Week of Sept 11:Groups get to know each other, learn about what to expect and discuss group agreements. Sample agenda & handouts provided in Host Packet
Week of September 18: Introduction to the 5 Spiritual Principles w/Video Segment 1 & Facilitator Discussion Guide provided in Host Packet)
Weeks of September 25 — October 23: Curriculum and discussion, w/Curriculum options still to be determined
Week of October 30: Service Projects w/Groups perform service projects based on what the group decides
Week of November 6: Small Group Social w/Groups have social event based on what the group decides
Week of November 13: Community Celebration w/Party to celebrate, reflect and begin signups for next series!
Thank you, all – Hosts, participants, financial contributors, Board of trustee members and more! You ALL make SpiritGroups and their success possible!
Tara Wear, SpiritGroups Program Lead